Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Celebration with Heather Hildenbrand


Today Heather Hildenbrand, author of the Dirty Blood series, has been kind enough to let me combine our Christmas Celebration with her Blog Tour.

She is celebrating her release of the 2nd book in the Dirty Blood series titled Cold Blood. Let me tell you......this series is AMAZING!!!!!! I have read both books twice now. I can't get enough. I can't wait for the 3rd book!!! Here is Cold Blood followed by an excerpt. Then continue towards the bottem afterwards for something special.


Wood Point Academy is not at all what I expected. For one thing, it looks like a cross between military school and Buckingham Palace. Everyone stares, the floors shine so bright you can see your reflection in them from a mile away, and no one smiles. Unless they're kicking your butt in the process.
At least I've got plenty to take my mind off the fact that my psycho cousin, Miles De'Luca, keeps calling and declaring his love and promising to come for me just as soon as he's destroyed anyone standing in our way. Wes isn't going to like that idea. So between Miles, Wood Point's evil welcoming committee, and the drill sergeant hottie trainer from hell, I just keep asking myself…How did I end up here?

Cold Blood is Book 2 in the Dirty Blood series




The Excerpt:


Chapter Five
 
 
When class ended, Logan appeared at my side looking winded and happy with himself. He slung his bag over his shoulders and let it settle into place before attempting to walk with it. “So what did you think? Are we any match for you?”
It took me a second to realize he was teasing. Before I could answer, his partner trudged past, shooting him a dirty look.
“What happened to going easy, Sandefur?”
Logan shrugged, which seemed difficult under the weight he carried. “Guess I was in a mood.”
The kid stalked off, but not before turning his glare on me. I did my best to ignore it and followed Logan onto the path, relieved he’d waited until the rest of the class had gone ahead to head back.
“You were really good,” I said as we walked.
He laughed. “Justin spends too much time reading comics and not enough time in the gym. Besides, this class is pretty easy. Wait until we get to Combat Strategy next year. I hear that one’s pretty tough.”
“How is that one different?”
“This one is basically hand to hand wrestling. Straightforward attack and defend. Combat Strategy gives you situations where you have to plan and strategize how to get your enemy where you want them, for the easiest kill or best outcome. I hear there’s a lot of one-on-three and stuff like that.”
“Wow,” I said, shaking my head and feeling completely out of my league. I should’ve realized it would be like this, a sort of military feel to the way they did things, what with a Hunter’s basic life goal being to learn to kill, but I hadn’t expected to feel so… inadequate. I thought I’d reached a point where my fighting skills were decent enough. Apparently, I was still a beginner.
The greens of the leaves began to lighten and the filtering sunlight shown through more and more, signaling that we were getting closer to school. It still felt cool, but I could feel my body already acclimating. I didn’t need the hoodie wrapped quite so tight anymore. The cool felt good. The air was refreshing against my skin. One thing to like so far, compared to home: class outside. Not a very long list.
“You okay?” Logan asked, pulling me out of my thoughts as we stepped clear of the trees. Someone had left the classroom door propped open, and I concentrated on that instead of meeting his eyes.
“Yeah, I’m fine. Just hungry.” Half-truth. I really was starving. That greasy breakfast sandwich I’d eaten earlier was long gone.
“Well, then, you’re in for a treat. One thing I can say for Wood Point: the food is the best.”
We passed through the now empty classroom and out into the hall. The press of bodies, and the buzz of voices, animated now that there was a break in class, reminded me of my high school back home; or any high school for that matter.
 A shoulder slammed into mine, jarring me. I backed up a step from the impact and looked up into a blond halo of hair and a sugary smile that dripped acid. It was the girl from the courtyard. A couple of her brunette followers flanked her. None of them looked sorry, or surprised, that she’d run into me.

To find out where you can read the next installment of Cold Blood, please visit www.heatherhildenbrand.blogspot.com
 
Now for something special! Heather is offering 1 lucky person an e-book copy of Cold Blood! To enter read the description of the book and tell me what you would do. Share the link to this post for an extra entry! This giveaway ends the 19th! Good luck! Oh! and go get Dirty Blood! At Amazon it is ONLY 99 cents!!!!

I killed a girl last night. I did it with my bare hands and an old piece of pipe I found lying next to the dumpster. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that scared me, the part I can’t seem to wrap my head around and still has me reeling, was that when she charged me, her body shifted – and then she was a wolf. All snapping teeth and extended claws. But by the time I stood over her lifeless body, she was a girl again. That’s about the time I went into shock… And that was the moment he showed up.

Now, all I can do is accept the truths that are staring me in the face. One, Werewolves do exist. And two, I was born to kill them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid that there is a possibility that I would have froze on the spot and gotten myself killed.
    These books sound so good and I love the idea that the first one is only $.99.
    The excerpt was great.

    Thanks for the post!
    sophiarose1816@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, now that I've read so much of this novel, I'll definitely need to finish this. Thanks!

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete