Thursday, December 22, 2011

Blog Tour with Andy Holloman, Author of Shades of Gray





We are the next stop for Andy Holloman's blog tour for his book Shades of Gray. Today he is here to talk to us about why he enjoys the creative process.




"Why I Enjoy the Creative Process."

The most enjoyable part of writing a novel, for me, is the beginning. This is the part that I call "laying down the tracks". During this part of creating a story, I'm jotting down plot points, dilemmas, deaths, murders, and the general mayhem that I want to occur.  Once I have laid down my "tracks", then I proceed to fill in the gaps that connect the
pieces of the track together.

In the midst of this process, the story percolates in my brain at a rapid pace. Action scenes, dialogue, and exposition invade my thoughts and beg to be written down.  I remember very vividly jogging in one of my favorite parks and suddenly arriving at a most wonderful solution for one of my character's "difficulties". Having these creative moments, for me, are truly thrilling and satisfying.
 
On another occasion (also during a run!), I found myself puzzling over a particularly difficult piece of my story where I needed to "connect" pieces of the track in a way that made sense AND did not foreshadow too much the events that were to transpire later in the book.  This eureka moment forced me to cut my workout short and jog to my car to jot down notes on my idea in a story notebook that I always keep handy.  I love filling up this notebook.
 
I'm certain that the main reason artists the world over love to "create" is for the same thrill that I experience when I'm solving these plot problems. I would venture to say, for me, that there is a creative "high" that occurs when I discover an intelligent and unique part of a story. 
 
So I say to all my fellow artists, relish the creative process.  Heaven knows the other parts of the process can be a real drag (sometimes) !!!
 
 
Thank Andy for sharing that with us! As long as you keep working out or jogging I think you will always have something to write LOL!
I suggest everyone to check out Andy's book, Shade of Gray at Barnes and Noble and Amazon. Also, you can find him on Goodreads, Twitter, and Facebook.



How far would you go to save your child's life?  Could you break the law?                                 
 
What if your  business was suddenly in danger of going under because of 9/11 ?        
    
A single father decides to partner up with woman from the opposite side of the tracks.                                                                                                                                                                             Can their partnership deliver the cash they BOTH desperately need?                                                                                                                                           
Could they fall in love?                                                                       
 And will they survive to see the Summer of 2002?    





2 comments:

  1. Great post Andy. Thanks for hosting Cynthia :).

    Merry Christmas,
    BK

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you cynthia and BK, glad to be a part of this effort!!

    ReplyDelete